Friday, August 01, 2008

Just some thoughts

"I lift my eyes unto the hills. Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, Maker of heaven and earth." – Psalm 121:1-2

It seems to me here lately, a lot of Christians I know are coming under attack. All over the country, friends I know, even myself, have been in the trenches waging battle within ourselves. I was thinking about some of the problems and individual battles I have heard and experienced over the last few weeks and through the joys of youtube surfing, I stumbled upon this passage. It is very familiar to me, but I don't think I have ever read it quite the same way before.

In the past, when I read this passage in Psalms, I saw it as one of hope, but always the hope that God would always be there to help me. I'm now not so sure that is this passages intent. Today it read to me as almost a challenge to an unseen force.

"You want to know from where my help comes? My help comes from the One who made everything!!!"

Now that is the kind of power I feel I need these days. In this battle that rages within me, I feel weary and tired of fighting it. Constantly figuring out the solution to one problem, only for three more to pop up in their place. We have an enemy who knows no mercy.

Instead of being downtrodden, we should take hope and remember our help comes from the Lord, Maker of heaven and earth. It is easy to forget and get bogged down trying to be self sufficient. That is not the life God wants for us. He wants us to live in His arms, safely cuddled with the One who made all of this, Who has beaten this enemy for all time, and Who suffered so much so we would not be alone in this.

Thank you so much Jesus, I don't feel I live my thanks enough for you. Take heart and hope my brothers and sisters, our help comes from the Lord!!!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I like it. You could work this into a very nice Bible study.